- TIME 2 minutes
- MAKES 1 cocktail
- 1 oz Mezcal
- 1 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
- 1 oz Amaro Nonino
- 1 dash Mole Bitters
- Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass
- Flame an orange twist over the top.
- This is one of my favorite cocktails, and a great use of Mezcal. The flavors meld together in a way that really make the sum greater than its parts.
- The original recipe calls for Del Maguey Chichicapa Mezcal, but I've often made it with the more affordable Fidencio Clasico with good results.
- Unlike the Mezcal, substituting out the sherry or amaro for alternative expressions results in an inferior cocktail without the synergy of the original, and so isn't recommended.
- [The Hawthorne's Under the Volcano](http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2013/09/under-volcano.html)