- TIME 2 minutes
- MAKES 1 servings
- Sweet Vermouth
- Orange **(for garnish)**
- Stir equal parts Mezcal, Campari, and Sweet Vermouth in a mixer with ice
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over a large ice cube
- Garnish with a flamed orange peel
- The Negroni is such a classic cocktail that there have been many riffs on the original formula. Substituting the classic gin for bourbon results in a Boulevardier, and with prosecco yields a Negroni Sbagliato. I was interested in a smokier version, but didn't find a scotch that would go. Mezcal, on the other hand, **(I used Del Maguey Chichicapa)** has a nice fruity, earthiness accompanying its smoke which I find pairs well with the rest of the negroni components.
- I've also had success with variations using rum, particularly [Plantation Pineapple Rum](https://www.plantationrum.com/plantation-stiggins-fancy-pineapple).
- My experimentation on Negroni variations, loosely based on a [TiNegroni](https://www.saveur.com/tiny-negroni-cocktail-recipe/)