- TIME 45 minutes
- MAKES 2 servings
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons red or white miso
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 0.25 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 5–6 oz boneless salmon fillets
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Rinse rice several times with cold water in a colander until water runs clear. Drain well. Transfer to a small saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and 1.25 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir rice once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until water is evaporated and rice is tender, 18–20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 10 minutes
- Whisk 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir into rice and let sit **(covered so it stays warm)** until ready to use
- Whisk maple syrup, miso, tamari, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl to combine
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium. Season salmon with salt and place in skillet skin side down. Cook, shaking pan occasionally to redistribute oil in skillet, until skin is very crisp and deep golden brown **(7–9 minutes)**
- Turn salmon and continue to cook just until very lightly browned on the flesh side **(by this point it should be nearly cooked through... about 2 minutes longer)**
- Pour off excess fat from skillet. Reduce heat to low and add glaze; cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Baste salmon with glaze and cook, basting occasionally, until glaze evenly coats fish, about 1 minute longer.
- Serve salmon on top of rice. Drizzle with any leftover glaze. Top with scallions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.
- Tastes like a delicious "exploded" and cooked version of salmon maki rolls.
- [Bon Appetit Miso Caramel Glazed Salmon](https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sushi-rice-with-miso-caramel-glazed-salmon)