- 3 parts Rye Whiskey **(Bulliet)**
- 1 part Cynar
- 1 part Aperol
- Citrus twist **(orange or lemon, optional)**
- Combine ingredients into a mixing glass with ice and stir until cold
- Strain into rocks glass
- Garnish with citrus twist if desired
- This is a variation on the classic Boulevardier recipe **(which I independently invented, but later found out is basically a "Cynara")**, which calls for campari and sweet vermouth. I find the Aperol **(campari's sweeter cousin)** and Cynar **(a vegetal, artichoke flavored vermouth cousin)** pair better with the spicy herbal mintyness of the Bulliet Rye. Your mileage may vary depending on the whiskey you use.
- The Boulevardier more generally is itself a variation on the even more classic Negroni cocktail, which uses Gin as the base spirit instead of whiskey.
- I like the flavor profile of rye whiskey in this cocktail, but a flavorful bourbon works well too.
- Personal negroni experimentation
- [Cynara recipe from the Amaro book by Brad Thomas Parsons](https://btparsons.com/amaro/)