- TIME 5 minutes
- MAKES 2-4 servings
- Crème fraîche
- Kettle cooked plain potato chips
- finely chop some shallot
- Mix chopped shallot, freshly ground pepper, and a few drops of lemon juice with an appropriate amount of crème fraîche
- fold in the caviar, adjusting the other ingredients to taste
- serve with the chips
- If you can't find crème fraîche, sour cream works fine
- Since the caviar is the star of the show, you don't want to use chips with a lot of seasoning/ flavor of their own, so a plain potato chip works best. Kettle cooked chips provide a good crunch, and structural integrity to ensure a successful dip. Cape cod original chips are my go to.
- Red onion works well as a substitute to shallot
- The key is not to overwhelm the taste of the caviar with the shallot and lemon. Leaving those ingredients out entirely is also fine, and results in a more focused expression of the caviar.
- Pairs excellently with a [martini](/martini.html)