- TIME 60 minutes
- MAKES 12 servings
- 1.75 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.75 cup cocoa powder **(Dutch process)**
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" square pan or 9" round pan **(either should be at least 2" deep)**
- Place the sugar, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring with a heatproof spatula until the butter melts and the mixture lightens in color. **(This step helps melt the sugar, which will help give the brownies a shiny crust.)**
- If you've heated the sugar and butter in a saucepan, transfer the mixture to a bowl; otherwise, just leave the hot ingredients right in their microwave-safe bowl. Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes.
- Blend in the vanilla and cocoa, then add the eggs and mix until shiny.
- Blend in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges.
- Bake the brownies for 33 to 38 minutes, until the top is set; and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or nearly so, with perhaps a few wet crumbs, or a tiny touch of chocolate at the tip of the tester.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and cool them for about 15 minutes before cutting. Once the brownies are cool, cover them tightly with plastic.
- Store at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.